Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Hope in the Midst of Suffering

Read: Romans 5:1-8 (NIV)

1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. 6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Reflect:
“Jesus, please … Oh, please Jesus …” I whispered as I peeked through the cracked door of my parent’s Texas bedroom. You see, my husband was on the phone having yet another interview. Nine months earlier we left the military to move to Texas to fulfill my dream of being near family. After a job fell through that we had put our hopes and dreams into, we found ourselves living with my parents while waiting, praying, and hoping for God to reveal His plan. Sitting outside the door, holding my pregnant belly with my fourth child inside, the Lord closed yet another door. My sweet husband, whose only desire was to provide for his family, knelt next to my parents’ bed, crying out to the Lord for something, anything. It was in that moment the Lord said to us, “I want to be glorified in your suffering and in your joys. In your perseverance, I will create character and HOPE. And when you feel powerless, I will strengthen you and make you stronger than you ever knew possible. I died for you! Put your hope in me and nothing else, my children.” It was in the painful moment of another slammed door that we saw a glimpse of hope — the hope that only Christ can give. Our faith grew more in that time of suffering than it ever would have without it. Our season of suffering produced perseverance; through perseverance, character; and through character, hope. This hope allowed us to patiently wait for what God had in store. Shortly after the last interview, my husband received a job in Virginia. Not yet knowing God’s plan, we moved with hope and trust. Four years later, God revealed the “why.” My husband now loves his job, my sister moved to Virginia and found the love of her life, and my parents miraculously moved a few miles away from us. God took the life we so desperately desired in Texas and provided it in Virginia. I can now boast in the hope and goodness that only Christ can give!

Act:
Ask yourself: What areas of your life can you turn your sufferings into hope?

Pray:
Lord, thank You for giving us hope in the midst of our suffering. Through our suffering You produce perseverance; through perseverance, character; and through character, hope. Your plans are greater than ours and we put our trust in You.


Chad and Joy Files

No comments:

Post a Comment