Wednesday, December 21, 2016

A Light in the Darkness

Read: Isaiah 9:2-7 (NIV)
2The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone. 3You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil. 4For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian. 5For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire. 6For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore.


Reflect: 
“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them a light has shone.”
The people of Israel were stumbling in the dark. They were making wrong choices. Isaiah was giving them the good news that the light would come; a beautiful white light that would chase away the shadows. There was hope despite their wrong choices. The light would bring joy and freedom. Most of all, the light would bring peace. Now, the Israelites didn’t know that Isaiah was talking about Jesus; they just knew there would be a Promised One, a Messiah. And look at all He would be: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.
I don’t like the dark. I use timers on my lamps so I don’t have to come home to a dark house. I even sleep with a string of Christmas lights in my room. I need the light or I will stumble. I need God’s light or my life will be a stumbling mess. I need someone to give me direction. I need someone to be the one in control. I need someone to love me without condition. I need someone to root my life in so that despite the circumstances, I have peace. I am thankful that Jesus came so that I could have all of that and more.

Act:
Are you stumbling in the dark a little this Christmas season? Turn on the light. Pick up God’s Word and look for Jesus, the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace.

Pray:

Thank you, Jesus, for being all those things and more to me. As Christmas draws near, may I center my celebrations on who You are. May I not stumble in darkness, but walk in Your light. Be my Prince of Peace so that I may be a peace-bringer in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment