Friday, December 2, 2016

Waiting for Green, SO THAT …

Read: Romans 15:7-13 (NIV)

7Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. 8For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God’s truth, so that the promises made to the patriarchs might be confirmed 9and, moreover, that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written:
“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing the praises of your name.”
10Again, it says, “Rejoice, you Gentiles, with his people.”
11And again, “Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles; let all the peoples extol him.”
12And again, Isaiah says, “The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations; in him the Gentiles will hope.”
13May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Reflect:
We’ve all found ourselves in times of transition. Some transitions we’ve gladly jumped into, while other transitions we may have approached with hesitancy. One time I’m most ready to move is when the stoplight changes to green. When it does, I’m off to the next destination, hoping to arrive on time and hoping I’m able to accomplish my goals. However, sometimes I wonder if I’m really after God’s purpose for me and if I’m truly ready for the result of the green light he gives me. In today’s passage, I kept being pulled to verse 13, particularly the transitional words “so that.” Our God has a great purpose for us in this life. When He gives us the green light, we need to be ready to accept the actions and heart changes that come in that transition.
God accepts me SO THAT I will accept others.
God showed me love SO THAT I’d have an example to follow when loving others.
God wants peace in our world, SO THAT we can worship Him with one heart and voice.
God wants us to trust His word, SO THAT we can see promises come true and grow in trust.
God wants us to sing praises to Him, SO THAT our focus shifts from us to Him.
God wants everyone to be accepted into His family, SO THAT we can feel true hope in our future.
God is our hope in a desperate world. He wants us to be filled with His peace and joy, not seeking the world’s treasures that call for us at every commercial and advertisement. Why? SO THAT we aren’t just filled with things, but with hope, and not just filled with hope, but that our hearts and lives would be overflowing with God’s hope, given and sustained by the Holy Spirit.

Act:
Our future with God is full of hope. Are you ready to receive it? The light is turning green — get ready by reading God’s word, get set by praying daily, and go into your day knowing that God is already there.

Pray:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for the hope You provide in our daily lives. We look forward to sharing our hope with others so more may come to know You. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Roxanne Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment