Saturday, December 17, 2016

Joy: God’s Gift to Us

Read: 1 Peter 1:8-9 (NIV)

8Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Reflect:
I’m the youngest of four boys, so I’ve grown up to having a lot of people around all the time. My oldest brother Fred just moved to Arizona. He has been gone for five months, and my other two brothers are at college, so I’m the only one in my house with my parents. Fred will be coming home for the first time at Christmas. Just the anticipation of seeing him again gives me great joy, and it’s just a visit from my brother. All the time spent apart makes that hello so much sweeter because it helps you realize just how much they mean to you.

As Christians, we are sure we will see God because we trust him and know that he saved us. On Christmas morning, my brothers and I all sleep in the same room, but the anticipation is enough to keep us up. When we wake up in the morning, we have to go sit at the top of the stairs until our parents are done dancing and take pictures. Then we can come downstairs. All the anticipation is leading up to that moment. But when we open our presents, we are sometimes disappointed because we didn’t get exactly what we wanted. With our salvation, there is no disappointment because no matter how great we think being with God will be, it will come nowhere close to what it will actually be like.

We don’t see God right now, and we won’t see him in the flesh unless he comes back. But we can take joy in knowing that, because of our love and our belief, when we do meet him Jesus will step in and say “Well done good and faithful servant … Enter into the joy of your Lord” (Mathew 25:21).

Act:
Take the joy you have in your life and spread it wherever you can. Rejoice in the fact that one day we will be with God. Live every day as if you’re living as an extension of Jesus or a tool of God’s will.

Pray:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for the joys You bring to our lives every day. I pray that we will be able to spread Your joy and happiness to the rest of the world. Amen.

Peter Fulton

No comments:

Post a Comment