Monday, December 12, 2016

Joy Found in Jesus

Read: Luke 1:39-56 (NIV)

39At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”
46And Mary said:
“My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49for the Mighty One has done great things for me —
holy is his name.
50His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
51He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
53He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
54He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful
55to Abraham and his descendants forever,
just as he promised our ancestors.”

56Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.

Reflect:
Today’s study of the interaction between Elizabeth and Mary represents the abundant joy found in the Christmas story.

After receiving the news that she was going to give birth to the Messiah, Mary hurried to the home of her cousin, Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard the simple greeting of Mary, her baby leaped in her womb with joy (verse 41). We then see that in that moment, the Holy Spirit filled Elizabeth and gave her the immediate understanding that Mary was carrying her Savior. This realization overwhelmed her with joy and led to an exclamation of praise (verses 42-44). Mary then joined with rejoicing song for the Lord’s blessings on her and generations to come (verses 46-56). The joy found in the praises of Elizabeth and Mary in these verses is something that is often overlooked in relation to our own lives. Just as Elizabeth erupted with praise after finding out that the Savior is coming, we too should be joyous in this time because our Savior has come!

It is very easy to get caught up in the holiday traditions of Christmas. So many times we find ourselves receiving joy from the lights that line the houses or the presents under the tree (which are wonderful and heartwarming things!). But what if this season, we follow the example led by Mary and Elizabeth and find our joy primarily in the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ? Christmas is a wonderful holiday, where smiles are easy and love seems to be shared a little more freely. But let us not forget to rejoice in the true reason for this season; let us find joy in the birth of our King.

Act:
Evaluate where You find Your joy this season. In light of the reactions shown by Elizabeth and Mary, remember the reason why we celebrate Christmas and seek joy in the blessing of the birth of our Redeemer.

Pray:
Father, I thank You for Your Son. I thank You that You would love me enough to send Your Son for me, for which I am undeserving. Help me find my joy in this truth, and not through things this world has to offer. I pray that during this season I will have a renewed joy for my Savior as the real reason of Christmas. Amen.

Claire Johnson 

No comments:

Post a Comment